Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have a newly (Nov/2013) constructed 2-story house on a

Customer Question

We have a newly (Nov/2013) constructed 2-story house on a 5-acre lot in the country with no wind blockage. When the winds are over 15 mph, particularly coming from the west, severe drafts come through the gas fireplace. So, whatever the temperature is outside, that is the temperature of the drafts. Today that is 30 degree drafts coming into the great room. Brrrrrrrr. We put up plastic, blankets, etc. and also have used plastic with strips of wood just to keep the air out.
The fireplace is a cantilever style. My builder has tried several fixes: A foundation was built under the cantilever. The back was taken off the cantilever and spray foam insulation was done on all sides, and the cantilever was re-wrapped. Last week he put up an 8' fence to deter the wind, but it had no effect on the drafts. He is considering whether it is a negative pressure issue. The house has no other symptoms (no window condensation, no lingering cooking odors, etc. that I have read about on-line).
This will be our third winter under these conditions. Can you offer any suggestions on what the problem might be and any possible solutions.
Thank you!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Is this only an issue when fireplace is not in use and if so is there no damper in the vent?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Also if you could provide me with model on the fireplace and maybe some photos of the situation as I am depending on you to be my eyes.A picture outside of the chimney location and termination may be of great help.

If you have a paper clip icon on your page you can attach using that link.Or

You can upload the pictures using the tiny pic site .

Here is a link to the site.

http://tinypic.com/

Click on Browse , select the file from your folder.then click UPLOAD NOW.

They will give you a quote to enter in the box to verify you are a human.Enter the quote and click UPLOAD NOW

You will see your picture on right side of screen.

Then copy the link URL for email & IM

Paste that link here on the site.