HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Have an Apollo-hydro heat system and 50 gal. water heater.

Customer Question

Have an Apollo-hydro heat system and 50 gal. water heater. My cousin installed and maintained until heart attack/death. Water heater pop-off valve seems malfunctioning. When I turned water heater temp up to C for cold weather, the valve did its job and "popped off", leaving water standing in drain pan. Soaked it up, leaving water heater temp turned down (to B). Next morning pan still dry. Not long after turning water heater up to C this morning, heard a loud noise and found water standing in pan again. Have turned down wh temp again but cold weather is here. Do I just replace the pop-off valve or opt for a new, different heating system (that is warm!) but less complicated with less expense? Have 2 full baths, 3 bedrooms, @1400 sq. ft. Do I look for a plumber or heating contractor? How do I know he knows this kind of system? At 67 yrs old, finances must be considered but I need heat. Yes, I do need a decent size water heater.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

If I were you I would look into a new system that system is old, not reliable nor efficient. Go to Angie's list and find a reputable heating contractor in your area to get you the best system for the money. That is what I would do in your position.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks