Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I 't think my question got through. I have a Rheem

Customer Question

I don't think my question got through. I have a Rheem RGUJ-08 horizontal furnace that won't ignite the main burner. I hear a solenoid click, the igniter spark lights the intermittent pilot, which stays lit for a couple seconds, then goes out. The solenoid
clicks again after a second or two, the pilot relights then goes out, the solenoid clicks again and the process continues indefinitely. I suspect the pilot flame is not being sensed, or the main gas valve is not opening. Access to the spark assembly mounting
screw is mostly blocked by what appears to be a small sheet metal heat shield. I called an HVAC contractor and the next available service is 3 weeks away and I would like to fix it myself sooner. How can I diagnose this? Bill
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 1 year ago.

hi i am dan i can help you with this. you are correct the flame is not being sensed. there is a little rod in that assembly that seses the flame. most likely you just need to clean it. also what model gas valve is used on the furnace

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan. The valve is a Honeywell VR8204A 2001
Any suggestions on getting the igniter assembly removed?

i know a lot of the time they are very tricky to remove but you may be able to clean it wit a wire brush, sand paper, steel wool without removing it if you can get in there. if not then it would require removing the sheilds around it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan, I'll try to get a flexible driver to get to the screw. Might be a day or two before I close this out. Will get back to you.

Ok just reply back when you are ready