Jason Whatley
Jason Whatley, HVAC Technician
Experience:  HVAC/R Supervisor at DOJ
83376504

Lockout due to ignition failure .... Have no heat and

Customer Question

Lockout due to ignition failure .... Have no heat and everyone I know who does this is sleeping
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jason Whatley replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help you out. Can you explain what is happening in the furnace cycle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tonight it won't turn on and the light flashes 4 times which says its lockout due to ignition failure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked online and it said something about a ground wire but no clue were that it

Okay, let's start from the beginning. Shut the power off to the furnace, and turn thermostat to the off position (or all the way down to the coolest position if there is no off position). Turn power back on to furnace and then turn the thermostat all the way up. You should hear the inducer motor (exhaust fan) turn on and run. You should then see the igniter turn on and glow red. After that you will hear the gas valve click and the burner will light. Typically an ignition failure on these furnaces is caused by a failed igniter. the igniter and gas valve are located at the bottom portion of this particular furnace.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a truck driver and work 13 hours a day right now I get 6 hours sleep before I drive in a snow storm ... Can you call please

I apologize but unfortunately I am not setup for live phone calls at this time. I will be glad to continue via chat or I will open this session for another expert that can perform the live phone call function.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I've already done all those things and I see nothing glowing red .... Am I supposed to take this apart to see it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow this site is useless

You will need the bottom panel of the furnace off to expose where the gas valve and burner is located. Inside, there will be a small viewing port just above the gas valve in the metal of the furnace. The port will either have a clear window, or covered by a small plate that will need to be removed to expose the viewing port.

I'm sorry but there is a short lag between question and answer, I know this is annoying but I will be as efficient as possible. I know your sleep is golden!