Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I just had installed an American Std. Silver 95 furnace

Customer Question

I just had installed an American Std. Silver 95 furnace Model #AHU1BO80. The exhaust vent makes a high pitched whine noise when the furnace is on. Exhaust fan motor? Unit is installed in the basement. You can barely hear the whine in the basement (unit is pretty quiet), but it's pretty loud outside at the vent so much so you can hear in the bedroom above the vent. Is this normal?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

Believe it or not we get this complaint on a lot of these newer furnaces. The PVC acts as a sort of "sound magnifier" to the noise that the inducer motor makes. If it is not making a lot of noise inside, I doubt it is the actual motor. If the manufacturer's installation instructions allow it, you could go up to the next size PVC venting or try a concentric vent.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.