Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Honeywell chronothemr iii and trane hb10, heat's not

Customer Question

honeywell chronothemr iii and trane hb10, heat's not working. what do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Can you provide me more details? Furnace not working or ac not working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure, but the fan unit outside (thran hb10) does spin etc. the thermostat on our wall (honeywell chronoterhm iii) does work too.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK when you say thermostat works, do you mean it has display but will not turn anything on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it displays, and we set a higher temp, but the higher temp won't shoot out any warm air from the vents.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK ifyou select FAN ON. will blower come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what's a blower? the unit outside? or the vent in our office?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Does any air come out the vents when you select fan on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just clicked fan on (it was on auto) and the unit outside has a fan, and it started to spin. inside our office, the vents are not blowing any air.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK look on the unit and give me the complete model so I can pull a manual. The number you provides is just a series.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the thermostat screen says HOLD 60 degree; although I changed it to 88 (the max)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Honeywell Chronotherm III
Trane XB10 Model 2TWB0036A1000AB, Serial 4075WJK4F
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI: i'm at work and might be occassionally away-from-keyboard for 15 minutes at a time, I apologize.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Ok, you have what is known as a spilt system heat pump. So there is an indoor unit somewhere. Lets locate it and get me model on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
haha, what's it look like indoors? I have no clue.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

It will be in a closet, attic or basement. Find where the return air grille is and that will help you locate it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the return air grill where the air filter sucks air in? That's above our waiting area, so I assume it's somewhere in the attic. I have acess there but it'll be a few minutes before I can get there. Maybe 30-45 mins. I'll get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anything else to do until I get that model? FYI: we did have power outages about 3-4 days ago.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Can you do some hands on ?If so, go to thermostat,remove front to expose wires.Jump R and G and tell me if you get air at vents.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean Jump R and G? I am a very UNHANDY person. :)
I'll try that soon tho, please provide thorough instructions; assume I KNOW NOTHING :)
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Loosen the terminal where G is and touch the G wire to R

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what's G and what's R? That's color of something?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see a G label and it's a green coated wire. I also see a R label and it has a red coated wire. Each wire is attached to a screw. So unscrew the G/green wire, and touch the copper metal part of the wire to the copper metal part of the R/red coated wire?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That is correct.What we are doing is bypassing the thermostat to see if fan will come on.This will give us an idea if issue is with unit or thermostat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I touched the G wire to the R wire, and I don't feel air out any vent in the office.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Did you leave it long enough for blower to come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what's the blower? the fan outside? it's been on since I switch fan to on.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

No, not outdoor.Outdoor should only come on when calling for heat or cool. We are concentrating just on indoor unit.With red and green connected indoor fan should blow air out vents

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, the fan outside is off. Stll no air blowing inside the office, even when the fan outside was on earlier.
The R and G are still touching.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok your problem is with indoor unit. We will have to locate it and get a volt meter to troubleshoot to find out why it is not coming on.If you do not have a volt meter you will need to get one or call in a tech to troubleshoot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No voltl meter. So what do I do now?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If you do not have a volt meter you will need to get one or call in a tech to troubleshoot

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i get a full charge for this tech support?!
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If you would like, yes.We are only paid if you are satisfied that the expert has provided accurate information.You should see a dop down menu on your screen to request a refund if you choose to end the conversation .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still don't have resolution to this problem. Do I need to call a local company?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do we end this conversation?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

At this point. we have done all the troubleshooting we can do without a meter.If you do not want to obtain a meter or are not confident in troubleshooting, this is as far as we can go. You will need to call in a technician.You should see a dop down menu on your screen to request a refund if you choose to end the conversation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't a button for a refund. Is that something you need to activate?