Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Payne furnace that is not working this week. It's a

Customer Question

I have a Payne furnace that is not working this week. It's a gas furnace...
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 1 year ago.

Does it try to start or lite. Russ

Does anything work. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have two units... one upstairs and one downstairs. Both worked last week... We've only been in the house two weeks thus far. Upon tweaking the thermostat up a bit for the heat, the furnace kicks on... Sounds like a fan. Then after a number of seconds the lighting element comes on fairly bright... You then hear a click. Sounds like gas is dispensing and then the lighting element goes away. This happens three more times and then the furnace shuts off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both units are doing the same thing... We have a liquid propane tank outside that is 95% full.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've replaced the thermostat on the downstairs unit tonight... Problem remains. I also cleaned the flame sensor with a emery cloth... the bottom unit came on after I did that yesterday morning, but shortly after that no flame would be present in the furnace to light.

Strange for two furnaces acting the same. Do you smell propane when the unit tries to light. Sequence of operation should be the small fan comes on for 10 seconds, igniter glows for 10 seconds,gas valve opens and unit fires. What flash code from the LED do you get when it tries to fire. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't smell gas at either location... The sequence you described does occur... but no flame emerges.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The LED sequence is one longer light... 4 quick light's after.

That is 14 ignition lockout, The problem is with valve or regulator. Crack line before valve and see if you have pressure. Russ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know where the valve or regulator is within the furnace?
Are you talking about no pressure from the tank outside to the cut-off valve outside the furnace?

Yes. The regulator is on tank. We need to know if we are getting gas to valve. Anywhere close to valve if you just crack line to see if you have propane. If gas valve was opening you would smell propane if it did not light. Russ

Anywhere close to gas valve. Any other gas appliances in house.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say crack the line... I'm thinking cut the line with a knife? I don't think you mean that do you?
The propane only feeds the two furnaces... Everything else is electric.

Usually there is a flare or a union in line that you can unscrew to check to see if you have gas. Russ