Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a YCC3048A-SF-1F Gas heating/electric cooling system.

Customer Question

The blower motor- D672968P01- has started stalling in its housing. It does not stop. It just makes a load wumming noise and catches up. I tested the voltage at the starter solinoid and it read 370 vac. When the motor stalls it momentarily drops to 345-350 vac. The fan seems to be spinning evenly and there are no bad bearing sounds. When disconnected from the board the board fault light activates.
1. Do I need a motor?
2. Do I need a starter?
3. Is there something wrong with the board causing intermittent low voltage.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. Thanks for your business!

I'm showing the indoor fan motor as being controlled by a contactor. Is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the contactor is a solinoid with two leads.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Before I'd think of replacing the motor, I would replace contactor. Typically the contacts inside these can arc and start to create high amp draw which can, in turn, drop voltage and slow down the motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. That's what I was hoping as well. The only other thing I was thinking was faulty brushes or warped stator in the motor. The motor will not be easy to pull. Guess I'm buying a contactor. Now the contactor is the item that I was testing and seeing the 370 vac right?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the contactor pulls in and supplies voltage to the motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks for your patience. Good night.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Good night.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.