airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a Carrier 58PAV 111-16 with error code 31. There is a

Customer Question

I have a Carrier 58PAV 111-16 with error code 31. There is a buzzing coming from.what I think is the pressure motor. There is a plastic fly wheel that I having trouble spinning.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Does the little vent motor come on or is that where the buzzing is coming from?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The 31 error code means pressure switch did not close.That little motor has to run to pull a vacuum on the pressure switch to close it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It comes on and tries to spin then starts buzzing then the unit shuts down.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok are you saying it does not spin freely?And do you have a volt meter for checking voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. It does not spin freely and then eventually just stops and starts buzzing. I do not have a volt meter.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If I were there, first thing I would do is verify we are getting 120v to motor, but the fact that it does try and does not spin easily implies that either the motor is bad or it is binding. You could remove the small ven tmotor and verify little blower wheel is not broken or a small bird or something inside.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is bad, how much is a new motor and where can I get one? I will.go ahead and pull it out. Sounds like I need to regardless.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the motor and nothing blocking the fan. I will replace and see what happens. Is the part # ***** the fan? If so, it shows 318977-401.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That number is ***** up the wheel.Do you see a number on motor itself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
J***-***-****. Jakel Inc.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give it a shot and see what happens.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if I can assist further.