airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a single stage American Standard freedom 80. Can I

Customer Question

I have a single stage American Standard freedom 80.
Can I add Air conditioning to this unit?
at the moment...It works fine...i stopped using it because it uptakes from under the house and the cats were smelling up the dirt under there and thus the whole house was affected...I'm afraid to turn it on for fear of Catifying my whole house. But maybe by next summer the cat Box smell will have dcayed away and I can still use the stystem with a new air conditioner added
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely.You will need to add an evaporator coil and an outdoor unit and run refrigerant piping between the two.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a certain amount of space needed for this?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Is the furnace in a closet, basement or attic and is it installed vertically or horizontally? The coil indoors will be about 2.5 feet tall and same width as furnace.If installed vertically it will sit on top of furnace.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its in a closet and I dont think there is enough room on top. all the vents seem to be coming out of the top of the heater. It is wrapped in fiberglass insulation so I dont know exactly what is heater and what is not.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

This may be difficult to do if supply ducts are coming out less than 30 inches from top of furnace.You would have to have room to get the coil on top of furnace.If ductst can be raise dup they can build a new plenum and re route them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know what a plenum is...But either way the coil unit is how big?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The plenum is the duct box on top of the furnace where all the branch lines connect. The coil will be a 30" tall.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Heater seems to be 3 1/2x feet tall the plenum box is about 21/2 feet adding to that...the space above the plenum in the closet is about 2 feet to the ceiling...but it is filled with ducts.
If the plenum box can be moved and refigured it could work...?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok....now what? I have a call out to Costco to see if they can add to what I have....any suggestions?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

yes if we can reconfigure to allow enough room to get a coil between top of furnace and first duct.You can shop around to find shortest coil for tonnage needed. I have seen furnace lowered and return brought in side. Manufactures makes a place for side to be cut out for this side entrance. See below:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alot of old hard aluminum ducts...they can be replaced with the bendy kind right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey I gotta go thanks for your help
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

yes flex ducts will be fine for doing this.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.