Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Trying to find someone in my area that repairs gas floor

Customer Question

trying to find someone in my area that repairs gas floor furnace. my pilot light will stay lit only once. when furnace turns off, the pilot goes out.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city and I will see how many well rated furnace repair outfits are in your area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 70 miles north, west and east of town of 100,000 or more and 100 miles south of such a town. I am right in the middle basically of Abilene, Midland/Odessa, Lubbock, and San Angelo. Snyder, Sweetwater and Big Spring are bigger than my town of Colorado City and they are each about 30 minutes away.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, its most likely just a bad thermocouple, tell me if you are in shape enough or willing to crawl under the house, and confident at all repairing appliances, I can coach you on how to replace the thermocouple.

Meantime I will see who is in the area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have attempted in the past to crawl under the house in the area of the furnace, and it is a very tight squeeze over bricks and I was not able to fee secure enough to attempt it. I was hoping it could be reached from above but I am not sure. I would rather have a technician work on it. If I could reach it easily I feel I could change it out.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

http://www.hartheatingandac.com/

Hart will be closest, however many handy men or car mechanics etc will be able to replace the thermocouple or thermopile. You could pay them double their normal rate and still come out ahead..it is worth a try given your location.

If there is a thermostat on the wall that controls the furnace it will have a Thermopile.. if not it will have a thermocouple. Virtually all hardware stores can match one up for you. Thermopiles come in 400 and 800 millivolt... the gas valve will be stamped on what it takes, also the millivolt rating will be stamped onto the thermopile itself.

Here are some pictures.

http://screencast.com/t/538vMslh

The owner of your local hardware store most likely knows someone that can do the job.

stay in touch, let me know how it goes, there is no time limit on this.

Thanks for letting me work with you. When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings . If you still need help let me know!. Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer. Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. thank you I will contact some local people I know. I might even try to go under the house again myself. It does have a wall thermostat so a thermopile is what I need I guess. Thanks for your advice and help.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

First remove the cover from the thermostat, if it is not a mercury bulb type, it will have two tiny contacts visible, cut a thin strip off of a business card and fit it between the contacts, and use it like a file to polish the contacts.

Make sure you get the correct millivolt rating for the thermopile... replacing it works about 90% of the time, when that fails, the gas valve needs to be replaced.

Before you replace the gas valve however look for the high temperature safety switch mounted near the top of the fire box, that may have failed.

Your only handicap here is that you do not have instruments to simulate millivolts and also simulate millivolt inputs... we used those extensively in the old days, currently I do not think any of the best service outfits even carry such instruments either.... so we are stuck with a bit of trial and error here.

Thanks for letting me work with you. When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings . If you still need help let me know!. Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer. Feel free to follow up for30 days at no additional cost.