BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Have model RDV33/40 TCC fireplace insert. Starting 3rd year

Customer Question

have model RDV33/40 TCC fireplace insert. Starting 3rd year of use & the blower will not come on. (can only access via remote, have changed out all batteries) The flame is also inconsistent, turns off whenever it wants and or "puffs" on & off. This started after 1 year. Have been told need to clean the starter wire under the logs on left side of box(facing it) but I can not get the faceplate to lift off it's hooks to pull the glass off. Not really wanting to pay $200.00 to have someone out for a simple maintenance issue!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

hello,

can you please confirm your unit is as shown HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That appears to be the same instruction booklet I have.Sitting in front of it now & it's decided to turn off after about an hour, not even close to the smart temp set. Flame adjustment does not respond either
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

thank you. If you notice the first diagrams it will show you how to remove front panel. The most important thing is that the bottom 2 tabs must be pushed back...up...and out/upward

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U referring to the bottom tabs on the glass? My problem is the deco steel face plate won't come off its hooks, the Glass isn't a problem to get unhinged but i can't move it till the surround is off. Do u think cleaning the start wire is going to solve all the issues? No response at all from the blower button or the flame height. I don't like the fact this site keeps charging, yesterday it said nothing about having to pay more for phoning, no reflection on u
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got the front off. Cleaned the ignitor pegs, didn't appear to b dirty. Found a wad of rock wool in that area vs. where it's supposed to be under the back log. Doubt that's gonna fix the other issues. Don't see any loose wires, any suggestions?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Have reassembled and tried unit again?

This actually sounds more like a bad control board than wire issue...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i really did not find it helpful at all. The blower decided to come on, how do test if the board is bad..after only 2 years? Thought Lennox was better than that. Happy Thanksgiving