Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am having a Trane model # 4YCZ6048C1 installed on my roof

Customer Question

I am having a Trane model # ***** installed on my roof to replace a unit 3.5 ton Trane that was installed in 2004. I was looking online to see the cost as I paid around $7,000 before rebates in 2004 and now the bid is $12,569. I was told this was to remove and replace the unit. States the buildup to hold the unit isn't big enough so will have to be redone, new wifi Honeywell thermostat, new smoke detectors and carbon monoxide. Re-seal all duct work, get all ducts pressure tested, permits, inspection, material/crane & roofer. I found the cost for the unit online as $5,029.00, but find it hard that the work described would cost an additional $7,000 plus. Can you give me an estimate? I see you live in Texas, I live in central valley of CA.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the absolute sure fire way to get a good price is to get 3 or 4 bids on the job.

Without seeing it personally and the range of issues involve, such as crane access, roof construction and all that I can tell you are rules of thumb for bidding projects (I am a retired HVAC contractor from California, Sacramento down to Modesto mostly. wotj 10 years in Los Angeles, and still consulting in the area to some degree).

If you can give me the model number of the unit being replaced I can look up the cut sheets for it hopefully and see how close it comes to matching the existing curb (you are calling it a 'build up')... that is the biggest expense in the replacement.

I will be out for an hour, then back here to respond.