Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a Rheem classic 90. model # RGTA-07EMAES. When

Customer Question

I have a Rheem classic 90. model # ***** When called for heat, the draft inducer starts up and the piezo igniters fire. I can hear the gas valve actuate and have tested the voltage at the gas valve at 24V AC. There is no fire through two cycles of the ignition and there is zero gas smell. I have checked the condensation drains and all are clear. Am I correct to think that my natural gas vale is the culprit? It is a Honeywell VR8502H if that helps (no indicator lights).
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

If you have gas pressure to the furnace, and the valve has voltage, but no burners, yes, you are correct to assume it is a bad valve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a chance the pressure valve is the culprit. I am thinking not because it has not fired up at all thus not yet responding to outlet air pressure. Worth asking though.
Also, should I replace with the same Honeywell unit or is there a better newer alternative?thanks!
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean by "pressure valve"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Valve with a vacuum tube connected to the draft inducer fan. I believe it senses the pressure in the overall system and shuts it down if there is a problem.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Nope, gas valve would not even have voltage if that was bad.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

If you look at this page under gas controls, find your model and gas code, it will give you a part number. Then you can search for that on the internet, your best bet to find the replacement part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I suspected. Thanks for confirming!
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Actually I just noticed that page I sent you is for the RGRA model. Try this one instead.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.