airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a Goodman gpg1336070 unit, the unit does nothing when

Customer Question

I have a Goodman gpg1336070 unit, the unit does nothing when its calling for heat
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Burners are lit with an electronic ignition , no pilot. Does unit work in Cool mode and can you do some hands on troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try cool mode now and yes I can try to troubleshoot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Air doesn't seem to come on either, my wife put new batteries in thermostat this week cause it was lighting up. It's blink cool on on thermostat bug nothing outside is happening at unit
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Give it a few minutes until thermostat COOL turns solid and stops flashing.It is in a delay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing still cool on is solid on thermostat, I checked power on each leg at unit and it was reading 120 volt
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK do this so we can make sure issue is not with thermostat.

On control board in unit, jump the R and W terminals and see if heat will come on.

http://i.imgur.com/JprQdYv.png

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are u talking about the red and white that tie into the thermostat wires that run into house to thermostat
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That is correct where red and white connect to board.What we are doing is bypassing thermostat to eliminate it being the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I believe I have them jump I tool a piece of solid copper wire and shoved in back side of each on plug harness where it connects to board. Or I could take wire nuts off and tie in there if needed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm outside still at unit it has not kicked on its still in AC at thermostat panel
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK disconnect all the thermostat wires from the board outside and then jump R and W as shown earlier and see if heat will come on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK this is what looks to be a brown wire and white that are from Barnes plug tied into white wire of thermostat. Do I leave those two harness wires together
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Can you send me a picture of what you are referring to?

If you have a paper clip icon on your page you can attach using that link.Or

You can upload the pictures using the tiny pic site .

Here is a link to the site.

http://tinypic.com/

Click on Browse , select the file from your folder.then click UPLOAD NOW.

They will give you a quote to enter in the box to verify you are a human.Enter the quote and click UPLOAD NOW

You will see your picture on right side of screen.

Then copy the link URL for email & IM

Paste that link here on the site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK here's what I found, a blown 3 amp fuse on board I replaced it unit is trying to light but cuts off and on like its not lighting
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK let it try several times in case there is air in the gas line.You may have to power it off and on if it goes into lockout.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It had tried about 10x doesn't seem the gas is kicking on or something. I see where the igniter sparks
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Is the error light flashing o board? If so how many flashes between pausing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If stays lit during cycle then goes out when cycle stops blinks 1x and kicks back on with cycle
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Look near burners for a flame rollout that will reset by pushing button in center

http://i.imgur.com/CGkB9sa.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I see it I push it in
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Youmay have 2 or 3.see if any will click and reset then try heat again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The center is floppy it don't seem to reset
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Remove wires and connect them together using a paperclip or small nail to see if this is the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont seem to be that I jump it out same 1 blink alarm and checked it with meter checks OK
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok now you have at least one more limit that can do this,but it is not resettable and one in furnace chamber.You can ohm them with wires unplugged or bypass for a test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can u explain more is the the #4 and #5/wife's on the harness that plugs into circuit board
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The board as you see has a 12 pin connector. Wire leaves pin 3 and goes to aux limit on blower housing, then to rollout switch and then to gas valve. If rollout or aux limit is open, we get no signal to valve.

Wire leaves pin 4 and goes to main limit then back to pin 1.If limit is open board senses and will not allow heat to come on.

You can verify limits are "closed" and if so, push in on the wires at 12 pin plug to make sure they are making connection.Also wiggle or unplug and re plug 9 in just so we know it is making good connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As u can see in picture pin 4 and 5 go to that switch by transfer I checked it with meter wasn't open. Am I doing something else wrong?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 and 5 are red wires also
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check pin 3 it is not open atleast all through to gas valve
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK You are correct.the numbers are a bit hard to see on my diagram. 4 and 5 are indeed the main limit circuit.It must be closed.

Make sure wires are seated good and plug and unplug the connector if circuits are closed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of voltage should come from pin 3 then through those limits back to gas valve
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK these wires are 24 volt wires, You will have a 24v common going to valve at all times from blue at contactor. On call for heat, the 24v HOT is sent from board, through aux limit then to and through flame rollout to gas valve to close the 24v circuit and energize valve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From pin 3 all the way through gas valve to blue wire at transformer is closed circuit when u ohm out
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Excellent. This is not the issue then

Lets chek between 4 and 5 to make sure main limit is good and is closed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those are closed as well, weird thing is the only time I get 24volts out of pin 3 is when I disconnect it right before it enters to aux limit on blower housing. When I disconnect the circuit board sends out 24v but why everything is hooked up it never sends 24 volt
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I am beginning to suspect we may have a failing board.Try heating the board with a hair dryer to just above warm to touch and see if we get any different reaction.Sometimes they get stress cracks and sometimes actaull short internally.The blown fuse is also common if board is shorting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much are these stupid boards