Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

There. I have a Rheem II Centurion, and today I tried to

Customer Question

Hi, there. I have a Rheem II Centurion, and today I tried to turn on the heat for the first time this season; it didn’t start. I flicked the fan switch to "On” and the fan worked fine.
I moved an additional switch to "Cool" and the fan switch to "Auto", and the AC kicked in. But when I switched to "Heat" and the fan switch to "Auto", the heater didn’t start. I just only heard one "click" from the unit followed by a buzzing sound similar to what a florescent lamp makes.
When the furnace runs properly, I typically hear a series of clicks from the flame sensor, the blower of the heating unit and then the burners.
I changed the batteries on my t-stat, I turned up the temperature 5+ degrees, I also turned off/on the power from the circuit breaker and I changed the filter. I still was unsuccessful in getting the heat to run.
Can anyone offer some suggestions? Thanks in advance for your input!
Cold in Chi-Town...
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

So far it sounds like the inducer fan has gone bad...but I can't be sure.

Please attach a well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the service panel,you can use the paper clip-icon at the right end of the toolbar at the top of this dialog box,Include a picture of the thermostat wire connections to the printed circuit board in the same area.

If there is no paper clip-icon, look for the '+attach files' link at left of your send button.

I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. You will need a multi meter ($30 at a hardware store) and some experience working with appliances, let me know a lot about your skill sets in those regards

If none of this in your skill sets, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will look for a few well rated service outfits in your area.

We can go from there.