Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Utica oil fired steam boiler model sf-4150st, how

Customer Question

I have a Utica oil fired steam boiler model sf-4150st, how much psi should it have on the gage? and how do I set it . Right now it is reading 0 and the boiler will not fire up. Have any ideas?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Steam boilers don't have pressure on the gauge unless the burner has been running for a while to heat the water to build up steam pressure. The Utica site is down so I can't access any specs on your boiler. Does it have a wiring diagram glued to the inside of the burner compartment panel? Can you give me a clearly focused picture of it? or some good pics of the boiler and it's controls? Click on the ADD FILES link right next to the SEnD button to post pics here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
rick there is no wiring diagram on this unit. it does have a digital unit on the top of the relay that says standby when it working. but when we need heat the digital screen has nothing on it and the boiler will fire up. I checked the thermostat and jumped the to wires and nothing, I touched the steam regulator next to the pressure gauge and turned the screw 2 turns and the boiler fired. don't know if it had anything to do with the boiler firing but it's working NOW. still no pressure on gauge and don't know if it's going to stay on. what do you think. george
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

One common culprit is a clog in the piping leading to the pressuretrol (the control with the adjustment screws) so tweaking it is probably what got it going. It will take quite a while for a cold system to build up pressure. In fact this time of year it's not uncommon for the thermostat to be satisfied before the boiler builds any pressure. If this happens again try unscrewing the pressuretrol (after you disconnect the leads) and clean out the pig tail and any other piping leading to it.