airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Can the heating element get oxidized and become inefficent

Customer Question

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

Good morning! What are we working on here? Make and model number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Carrier Heat pump V81-0461-00 with a 9KW heater KFCEH2901-N09
Issue is no heat from heater, voltage & current meet Spec
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Oh, OK, this is related to electric heating element. I'm going to open this up to other experts. Please do not reply or the question will come back to me.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The elements do not become oxidized causing poor or no heat. Do you have either a mutli meter or an amp meter for troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ran the system check procedure which activates the three stages, low, medium and high Voltage 209, current 10.8, 21.9 and 33.2 amps
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Is this heat kit installed in a Carrier Air handler? If so do you see a model on front of unit with an F in model, like a FA4C or FC4D or similar?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
KFCEH
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry in the air handler
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That is the actual heat kit model. Is it in a ducted air handler or some other unit like a mini split?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ducted air handler
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok there should be a label on outside panel with a Model like mentioned above if it is Carrier.

What is concerning me is the low amp draw 9000 watts divided by 209 volts = 43.06 amps.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ate 209 volts we should be getting 14.35,28.7 and 43.6

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model V81-0461-00 ? I am not near the system it is at my sister's in Massachusetts, I am in Florida right now will be there in a week
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Will you have internet access when there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As i recalled my current readings were close to the spec sheet that came with unit, right now I think I will take the element out and perform a visual
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If you have internet we can do that and come back to question while there would be great.We may have something in there creating a resistance on the elements or something.Then we can do a temperature rise check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it just be dirt? The service outfit she had but in a cheap filter, I replaced it with the Carrier part
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Normally the dust would burn off within a few minutes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking to test it outside the system to determine if there is any heat from the coils
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If all elements are coming on but temp rise is low, we may also need to slow her blower down to a lower speed 9KW is not a lot of heat so if air is moving too fast across coils we end up with insufficient temp rise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lets leave it for down and I will contact again after I get there
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, We will go from here.