Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a 20 year old Trane XV90. Upon call, it will do all

Customer Question

I have a 20 year old Trane XV90. Upon call for heat, it will do all the start up processes, the igniter will glow and then the gas will start. At that point, the first burner of five will light for 5-6 seconds. Then it will shut the gas down and start all over again. Any ideas why?
The last time I used Just Answer, the tech did not give me anything near the correct reason.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. Thanks for your business!

The reason the unit is shutting down is that it is not sensing flame. The burners need to light smoothly and immediately all the way across. Check for dirty or rusted burners, crossover slots (the slot on the burner that carries flame from one burner to the next) that are dirty, warped or not lined up properly. Finally, low gas pressure can also cause just one burner to light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim - I cleaned the burners and crossover slots. I LP company upped my pressure a little and it now fires at first stage. If you look at my other issue, it has nothing to do with the air deliver. It happens when the second stage fires up, it dies and does a complete restart.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried bypassing the thermostat? It may be loosing a heat signal from the thermostat. Also, full model number would be much appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model # ***** TUY1009V4A0
Serial # ***** K17508265I will be leaving shortly to go out of town for work. I will be returning Thursday evening. I will get back with you Friday.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks