Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Our propae recently went dry. we had the propane filled but

Customer Question

Our propae recently went dry. we had the propane filled but now the heater is not putting out heat. I need to troubleshoot why this is hte case
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The most likely culprit is air in the gas line. The safest way to get it out is to keep resetting the furnace by turning the power off to it then wait a minute and turn it back on. However this can sometimes take dozens of resets to get all the air out. A much quicker way (the way we do it) is to shut the gas off at the unit then disconnect the gas line on the furnace side of the shut off then turn the gas back on until you smell gas then shut it back off. No open flames in the area. Then put the gas line back together. There should be drip leg on the gas line with a cap on it. This is the easiest place to open the line up (by backing the cap off). You have to put pipe dope on he threads before screwing the cap back on. You may still have to do a couple resets to get the last bit of air out.