Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I spoke to a TEch named Billy oct 16 2014.He was quite

Customer Question

I spoke to a TEch named Billy oct 16 2014.He was quite helpful. If availibe Id like to chat with him about the same furnace which is now having another issue .
Rheem Imperial 90+ model RGEB12EJS.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so this is what is happening. The unit comes on as normal whereby the uppersmaller blower runs for a bit. then the hotsurface ignitor comes on, the unit then has flames for a while. Clicks , flames go off upperblower clicks off, then the main furnace blower comes on and runs for a few, shuts down and then process reiterates from begining.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Billy does not appear to be online right now. Would you like to wait for him or may I help you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok now I am not sure what you guys covered so I may ask questions about things you have already done.

First of all the furnace uses an ignitor that also serves as a flame sensor, Since burners are lighting and then going out we will start there. Can you verify that when burners are on that the igniter is covered well by the flame?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Are you requesting a phone call or is that the automated system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both the hot surface ig and the flame sensor appear to be covered with flame.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok do you see any crack in the sensor or wiring? If not unplug the 6 pin plug and make sure all the wires are pushed in so they seat and make contact when connected and verify furnace has a good ground, not plugged into a receptacle, but a hard wire ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont need a call. Ill save the 18 clams. Let me check.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

No prob.Just ignore the phone call request and I will do the same.t is automated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on call for an event and just got called into action. I must resume later . sorry
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I understand. Just come back when ready.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please send ,email on how to do that
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Just come back to website and go to MY Questions.It will be saved there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Imback . Lets continue.I replaced the flame senor and hot surface ignitor. nothing chamged. not sure how to check to see if board is getting a good signal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im back how do I connetc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont want a phone call
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I am here .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok good. Were shall we start
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok now I understood in one of your previous replies you said both igniter and flame sensor appear to be in flame .Are you saying you have both?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT keeps asking me for a damn phone call. I dont want . Chat is fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It keeps saysing sorry each time. pain
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ignore the phone call request.I have notified administrators we do not want a pone call. It is an automated thing.They are working on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a flame sensor ( Ijust replaced onthe left in a flame) and hot surface ignitor on the right . I just put in new ones.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THe unit come on flames for a bit . cycles of shortly after then large blower comes on..cycle reapeat. The unit worked fine last year after I replaced the board and virtually every electronic comment. YOu mentioned grounding last night. There is some rusty areas and I have wiggled and tried to ensure proper gournding but not sure how to emilinate that it has a good ground. I have meter etc,..
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK the flame sensor appears to have possibly been added at some point as the original wiring shows the unit used the igniter to also sense flame.Does the flame sensor run all the way to the control board or is it spliced into the hot surface igniter wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spiced in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am showing IE on my wiring diagram. ( ignitor Element)This is a REEM 90+ RGEB-12eejs hn50d307 S\N: F1289 3700
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That is what I expected.It was an add on. Rheem came up with this solution because the original flame sense through igmiter was not very reliable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
gotcha, how do we get r goin
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Lets make sure the splice is going to the Neutral and not the hot wire going to the uniter. I am going to upload you a link on doing this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok , I lcheck. Will take a few. be back shortly.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Take your time. Also check the number on your board against the numbers shown on page on to see if they recommend the wire going all the way to the plug on board. Although it may have worked for some time, it could still be an issue.