Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Can a layman like myself replace a lower penny valve on a

Customer Question

Can a layman like myself replace a lower penny valve on a rheem unit
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 1 year ago.

hi i am dan i can help you with this, i am not sure what you are referring to as the "penny valve" but i can help walk you through replacing any parts in your furnace.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That was what I was told it was called . The tech said call when you want it replaced . I think it becomes a money issue. Do I need to get on the roof and try to fine the part , They said it is a easy spot . Could it be A rudd contactor ??

lets start with what kind of furnace it is. is it a warm air ducted furnace with a split A/C condensor or a package unit where it is all ducted heat? is everything located outside on the roof?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

everything is on the roof , I am really going to sound stupid as we go along . They said it was a heat pump unit. They told me that they had rewired everything and that the only part that needed to be replaced and wired was the lower unit . All this is inside the unit on the left hand side ,

does it also use gas for heat ? and are you able to take a picture of the parts and the model number of the unit. that will help me alot to determine what part it is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Uses Gas for heat, The unit has no serial number or model number that we were able to find when installing . It has been determined to be a 2.5 to 3 ton unit . I can try to take pictures of unit tomorrow . It is storming here at the present time and the wind is trying to blow me off the roof .

The problem for me is , will the heat work , I have not tried and I do not want to spend another 2-3 hundred dollars . I really am left out in the cold ,little play on words humor , and I am really not a happy customer with the run around we r getting from the other individuals .

If it helps any the unit cooling side of the house was excellent .

i can not determine if the heat will work as i do not know what is wrong with it yet but you can try to turn it on. the worst that it will do is just not come on. the model number will be on a sticker on the outside of the unit with alot of other information. if it is rheem it will most likely be on the back right corner as looking from the burner compartment. the serial number is ***** if you can take some pictures and post them here that will help alot. i can wait until you can get to it. just let me know.

instructions for attaching files

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dan we tore the unit apart and did not find any numbers before installations and even when the technicians came out and replace some of the parts to get it working . Since it is gas and has a electric ignitor do I take the chance ??? I will get you the Pictures probably tomorrow , inside and out .

If you think it is safe just turn the gas line on and set thermonstat to heat and pray ???? I am game .

Its better than using space heaters for the past year until present .

Sorry for being such and idiot !!!!

That is fine. It is worth a shot. I would open the gas valve wait a few minutes and if you smell gas turn it off but if not then try turning it on. If anything is wrong there are alot of safety switches that will turn it off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Heat did not work , still windy and raining looks like tomorrow, if thats ok ??

thats fine just let me know when your ready and we will go through the unit.