Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

The red light at the bottom of our furnace keeps blinking

Customer Question

the red light at the bottom of our furnace keeps blinking and the furnace will not go on
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What is the flash sequence? how many short and how many long flashes before the pattern repeats?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 short 1long 3 short
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

This is an open limit circuit error. First possibility and easiest to fix is a dirty filter. If you haven't changed your filter in a while then this would be the time to do it. Next possibility is an open rollout switch (see attached pic for typical). They are located just outside the burners. Try pushing the small button in the middle of the 2 wires. If it clicks you have reset it. Turn the power off first before you try this or do it while you replace the filter. Then turn the power back on. If it clicks the burner will fire up with any luck. If it doesn't click then it wasn't tripped. If none of that works check for bad connections along the entire length of the wire (both ends)that connects to the rollout.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

If you still don't have any luck then you could have a bad limit which would take a multi meter to verify.
I have to step away for a half hour or so. I'll respond to any follow up questions when I return. If you don't have any more questions I'd appreciate a favorable rating