Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a Pge180L360AA package unit, the heat is not working.

Customer Question

I have a Pge180L360AA package unit, the heat is not working. I jump R to W, the induce motor not running. I ohmed the fan and i got 271ohm, when i measure two lead, it has 0 volt, but when i measure only one side, it has 460v on either side One lead of
the fan is connected to the control board and other one is to a contactor. So is it a bad board or fan?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

You need to measure directly across the two inducer leads. Tell me what you get with a call for heat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 0 volt
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Can you possibly upload a picture of the wiring diagram to me here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think this is it, the one on the unit fade out, this is from online
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/21084640/pge-180-240-fox-appliance-parts-of-macon-inc/5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Page 25-26
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

When you got "0" volts across inducer leads, were you calling for heat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i jumped r to w1 and w1 was connect to w2
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Find a good unit ground and call for heat. Check from a terminal marked CM on the board to ground. Tell me what you read, if anything.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was 460volt at the CM to the ground
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked all 3 main fuses on the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They all have 460v
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't make sense. The one lead from IDM comes from the line side of the contactor, right after the fuse. So if that fuse is good, we should have power there. And you said you are getting voltage from CM on the board on a call for heat. So that should give us voltage to the IDM, yet you say you have none. Perhaps a bad wire, poor connection somewhere?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When i measure both lead, the one from CM and the one from the contactor, it has 0 Volt
When i measure CM to ground, it has 460V
When i measure the lead at contactor to ground, it has 460V
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, that's not making sense.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Looks like the IDM has a capacitor on it. Check that for signs of bulging or burned off lead. The capacitor can also be checked with many meters which have capacitance checkers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, when i measure both lead, i didnt disconnect the lead from CM on the board or from the contactor, does it make a different?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

It shouldn't, no. Also, the diagram you sent me is for a 208/230 volt unit, yet you say this is a 460 volt unit. The diagram may be different. I really need the one off your particular unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually on page 27-28 my bad
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. The wiring is actually different. Looks like a bad contactor if contactor coil is energized on a call for heat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which contactor? Is it the one on the control board (the CM contactor)? Or the one at the ofc( outdoor fan contactor?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

The one the lead from the IDM goes to.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Not the board.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thank you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (Thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so i read the schematic repeatly and realize one leg is suppose to connect to the dummy terminal of contactor 2, but somebody plug it straight to terminal 1 at contactor 2, so now i got 460v. Thankyou
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, so it would only supply voltage when contactor pulled in, right?