Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician
Experience:  hvac technichian at performance plumbing and heating
89712187

I have a top tech thermostat and the ac is not going on.

Customer Question

i have a top tech thermostat and the ac is not going on. there are two snowflakes, one a little bit bigger than the other, flashing
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 1 year ago.

hi i am dan. i can help you with this. i am not sure about that brand of thermostat but most of them when they are flashing like that it means it is in delay, wait 5 minutes and see if it starts after that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done that and the AC is not coming on.

ok does the heat work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it's not working either.

ok do you have a gas furnace or a heat pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a pump. I had a lot of problems with a surge over the summer and had to replace everything in it so I am worried I may be in a similar situation again.

so it is a heat pump then as in the outdoor unit will run in heat and cooling correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the pump runs both the heating and the cooling. They said it was more environmental but my ac repairman over the summer said that usually these units are used for people who live in rural areas. I live in New Orleans.

ok first thing we will try is if you can remove the thermostat and on the back plate if you connect the R and Y wire together we will see if the outdoor unit starts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i do that? i know how to take the thermostat off the wall but am not sure what i would do next

on the back plate where all the wires connect you can disconnect the R and Y wires and just twist them together or put a wire nut on them if you have one available

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm not sure if i can do that. i have never done anything like it before. i probably need to call someone to come look at it again. i appreciate your help.

ok that may be best if you are not comfortable with disconnecting parts and testing. if you are concerned about power surges i would highly recommend having a surge protector installed in your electrical panel for the whole house or you can have one just for the A/C unit. if you have any more questions please let me know. if not i would appreciate if you could rate me on my service today and thank you for using just answer

if you are all set with this problem i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars or smiley faces as the question remains open until you rate the response. thank you

if you do not have any more questions about this you have to rate me on my service here by selecting one of the 5 stars or smiley faces.