HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I can't seem to figure out how to get my furnace to switch

Customer Question

I can't seem to figure out how to get my furnace to switch to "pilot mode". I have a Robertshaw Grayson unit.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

DO you have a knob on the valve that says Pilot ON and OFF?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a knob that says ON and OFF
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Like this one with the word Pilot on it?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't have the actual word Pilot on it no
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK are you just trying to turn it to light the pilot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK turn the knob slowly while putting pressure down on it, it should hit a spot that the knob pushes down. That will be the pilot and when it is down pilot gas is flowing to light the pilot.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok hold on...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There isn't any spot that the knob goes down... I can only turn it on and off
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a picture of it and upload it here or do you have the model number off the valve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here you go
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

That valve uses an ignition control board for the pilot you just have to set the valve to on and the pilot should automatically light when a call for heat is present

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

It should basically light on its own.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It isn't doing that. When I set the thermostat to an appropriate heat temp, it sounds like the heater turns on but I look and the pilot isn't lit.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

The pilot may be clogged up check and clean the orifice for the pilot and make sure it is trying to spark to light the pilot from the ignition control board.

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

I will be back on in the morning, to check on you I have to get some sleep.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok no worries... and It seems isn't clicking to spark the pilot.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK then I would say you may have a ignition control issue can you see that board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't see a control board
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

DO you have the make and model number off the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the silence. I've been out of town since our last correspondence. I'll be back home shortly to get the make/model for you.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't seem to upload the picture but here's a link to ithttps://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-2ESXLA3WFwbG9iUUxBSFVyMmM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get the picture?