Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Billy. I have a Trane XE 90 furnace that fails to ignite

Customer Question

Hello Billy.
I have a Trane XE 90 furnace that fails to ignite most of the time. The hot-surface igniter is working alright, but usually only the first tube out of five will actually get a flame inside it which only lasts about two seconds before going out. Then everything shuts down until the next cycle where it starts all over again doing the same thing.
I have replaced the control board and the thermal switch with new parts, and also cleaned the flame sensor. All that doing this was it no longer blows cold air inside the house on the rare occasion the furnace actually fires up.
Any suggestions you might have for me to get this thing up and running will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

If only the first burner is lighting, you need to check your burners and crossovers to look for dirty burners, burners not in the correct position, warped crossovers, etc.

There could also be a low gas pressure problem and this is checked with a manometer.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

The crossover is a slotted opening in the front of the burner that transfers the flame from one burner to the next. These must be lined up and not warped. The burner itself may have dust inside preventing it from lighting properly.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.