Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My heater has a soft lock out, max recycles exceeded

Customer Question

my heater has a soft lock out, max recycles exceeded
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

What is the error code displayed?

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

We can proceed with your inquiry once you provide the info I need. If you can't do that right now then come back to this thread when it's convenient and I'll respond as soon as I can

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
63 soft lock out max recycles exceeded
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, the most likely culprit is a dirty or faulty pilot electrode if the pilot does light. When you reset the boiler ad it goes through start up, does the pilot arc? does it light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does light, I'm 24 , the main gas vile lights for Two to 3Min then goes off then lights again and goes off
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sounds like a classic flame rectification (sensing) issue. Since you've replaced the board the only thing left is a dirty or faulty pilot electrode which doubles as the flame sensor. You can try cleaning it off (carefully) with fine aluminum oxide sandpaper. Also check to be sure all the connections are solid. If that doesn't work then I'd replace the pilot burner assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the system is only 2years old there wAsn't anything the matter with the old board, why is it say max recycles exceeded ?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The unit will go into lockout after it retries to ignite 6 times. Since it's not recognizing the presence of the pilot it goes through the ignition trial process repeatedly until the 6th attempt then it locks out. If the unit is only 2 year old this should be a warranty issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does all that so what do I need to clean or buy?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I already answered this question. Here is my answer from before:
"You can try cleaning it (the pilot burner electrode) off carefully with fine aluminum oxide sandpaper. Also check to be sure all the connections are solid. If that doesn't work then I'd replace the pilot burner assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

do you have any more questions?