Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Trying to find a generic motor to replace fan condensor

Customer Question

Trying to find a generic motor to replace fan condensor motor part # ***** 60 Hz, 1 ph, 220v, 900 RPM, 1.35 amp, 6 P, MOTO8871....not sure of HP. 60 days for Trane to recieve to PR if at all and trying to see if there is a generic motor we can purchase on grainger.com or somewhere with the same specs...looking for help matching or finding, HP seems tobe the main spec we are missing....
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city... I will see what I can do for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are in St John in the US Virgin Islands. We have someone in New Lothrop MI 48460 who can forward it to us if shipping to us here is not available. I see now a MOD B1-1-6RA if that helps...can call(###) ###-####if needed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If we can find out the HP looks like we could find a replacement on grainger.com or similiar web site maybe?
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** says it all.

There is absolutely no generic replacement for that motor. That style was obsolete before Columbus landed in the new world. You will be very lucky if the local Trane dealer can get one for you...that is your best bet.

However if the can get it from Trane US, there is no reason it should take more than a week to get to customs in PR... they are probably waiting to get more orders so they can get better shipping rates... tell them that you way for expedited shipping... that might cost you an extra $100.

The chances that you get a drop in motor if that style from Grainger or Johnstone Supply are virtually zero.

Ask Trane if they can expedite shipment of the replacement, tell them you will pay the extra charges, let me know what they say.

If you can send me 4 or 5 different pictures of the motor and fan as it is mounted in the unit, I might be able to see a way to change the configuration entirely to use a stock motor...you will probably have to remove the entire top of the unit in order to get those photo's. that would be a last resort however.

Beyond that, these older units were only 8 to 10 SEER rated when they were new, cost of operation is about double what one of the newer systems costs to operate..sometimes even more. Trane makes an excellent line of new systems that run into the 18 to 20 SEER efficiency range.... if you plan on keeping the property now would be a good time to talk to them about replacing the system.

Let me know what you think about all that, we can go from there.