Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a 25 years old Carrier Heat pump system (3 components

Customer Question

I have a 25 years old Carrier Heat pump system (3 components - Compressor inside - Furnace & indoor coil inside - Evaporator unit outside). I had the evaporator disconnected for French drains repairs around the house, then re-connected by specialists in conditioning systems. Since it is re-connected, the heat pump does not work well in heating mode, it does not warm the air very much. What could be the problem and what is the R-22 load for that type of system (38SQ136 compressor unit - 38SQ940 Outdoor coil unit)?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. Thanks for your business!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with your heat pump system. When you say evaporator outside, I'm assuming you mean the condensor. The evaporator is the coil above your furnace or air handler. If it is not producing much heat, chances are they did not properly charge it when reconnecting it OR, they did charge properly but some has leaked out due to a leak.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

The charge needs to be checked by an HVAC expert using a guage set. Typical pressures for R22 on a 70-8o degree day (in the AC mode) would be around 60-65 PSI on the low side, approximately 200 PSI on the high side.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.