Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I'm trying to size a furnace apartment. three bedroom

Customer Question

I'm trying to size a furnace for an apartment. three bedroom Apartment is approx 980 sq ft and we are located in South Dakota. What size furnace do we need? Local hvac company is trying to sell me 70,000 btu furnace. That seems really big for an apartment. Is there any advantage to putting in a larger furnace?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

70,000 is only slightly large for North Dakota, you will want to size it for the coldest possible weather,

Next size down is 60,000 btu's, that would likely work well enough, cost will be almost identical however. The 70,000 btu furnace will allow air conditioning to be added later if needed.

Tell me the brand an model number and I will look it up for you, a two stage model would be a good choice, that way it will only run on the high stage on the coldest days.