Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician
Experience:  hvac technichian at performance plumbing and heating
89712187

I have a Peerless PDE-130 boiler that is not igniting. I see

Customer Question

I have a Peerless PDE-130 boiler that is not igniting. I see the light when it tries to ignite but it just doesn't seem to ignite. I had a technician in who said that it was an issue of the gas valve not opening to allow gas to the line. This seems off to me. They say the gas is coming to the unit but that it is not enough gas coming through the valve. I have never had this issue before. What could be the cause and does what the tech says sound right. He told me they are researching to replace the gas valve to the unit, but that they are having trouble finding one.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 1 year ago.

hi i am dan i can help you with this. was the diagnosis that it was not opening at all or just not enough?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His response was that it wasn't opening at all but the interesting thing was that he was taking readings from the gas line that cam into the ignitor and they were fine. The readings on the other side of the valve had lower gas readings but not non existent. I didn't have any issues with the boiler when I turned it off I the spring. No, that I am firing it up for fall t seems to have this issue. I am just not sure the technician knows what he is talking about or is familiar with boilers/radiant floor systems.

this is a picture of a standard gas valve to test to see if the valve is opening he should check the outlet port of the valve and the inlet port of the valve to make sure there is enough gas pressure to the valve. did he check the pressure here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is what he did and got the readings that differed. But if the pressure wasn't opening the valve wouldn't the refund be zero on the other side instead of just slightly less?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Readings not refund

yes if it was not opening it would be zero. if he got some pressure ther the problem is not the gas valve. it may have a restriction or problem in the gas supply to test this he needs to check the inlet pressure when it starts up to make sure it does not drop bellow 5" WC

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What else could it be. I just don't think he is right. What could I try.

do you have other appliances that run on gas in the house and if so do they work properly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stove and fireplace are working perfectly.

do you know what the pressure was he got on each side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thing he said 22 and 18 on the other. Does that sound right.

is it natural gas or propane? if natural gas then that is not right. there will only be about 3.5" WC on the manifold side

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it is gas and this is what the work order says. 22.8 v to gas valve, 7.7we gas pressure to gas valve, but gas valve not opening.

ok that sounds good. but you said he did read pressure when the valve opens so it is most likely opening and there is a restriction in the gas line. make sure the gas shut off valve is open all the way, if it is then turn it off remove the pipe if possible and check inside the pipes to remove any debris and inside the gas valve there is a screen that may be blocked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have them check it when they come back. It isn't something that I can do to open up a pipe. I guess there is nothing else I can do then.

ok also have them check the inlet pressure at the valve when it tries to open to see if it drops below 5" wc. if it does then the problem is not the valve. if you have any more questions please let me know. if not i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service today and thank you for using just answer.

hi, i would like to make sure you got this problem resolved or if you still have problems or questions about it let me know if not i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars or 5 smiley faces. thank you