HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Having trouble with my EFM stoker I'm told I may need to

Customer Question

Having trouble with my EFM stoker
I'm told I may need to change the coil.
I'm burning way too much coal and not getting enough heat into the water. There is an outside pipe that is rusted severely on the back side. I assume this may be part of the problem.
Does replacing the coil sound like the issue?
I have this stoker since 1988 and have not had any major rebuilds.
About 15 years ago, had the pies driller out and blower replaced. Also had a couple recirculating pump replaced and most recently had the controller replaced and none seemingly helped the problem. Just to keep the stoker running this summer, I had to set the controller to 190 to 220.
Does the coil change sound appropriate?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly. If another tech tries to post to you please only deal with me as this confuses the issue and further I receive no credit then for assisting....just kindly ask the other tech to leave and deal directly with me thanks!

Given the issue the coil change sounds exactly what you need and I would get the pipe replaced to. These two things will cause that issue and based on the age that would be totally normal to fail at this point.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page before you leave. Us techs only receive a SMALL PORTION of whatever you have chosen to pay after a good star rating is chosen. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks