BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a echelon 9.c series furnace. The air works fine. The

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Coleman echelon 9.c series furnace. The air works fine. The heat does not. The blower comes on, the ignition filament glows, I hear the rather loud click, no gas/flame then the ignition filament turns off. Thanks in advance.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. Thanks for your business!

Make sure you have gas pressure to the unit (crack a pipe union slightly) and that the gas valve on the piping and on the gas valve on the unit are turned on. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The heat was working a few days ago so at that point it was getting gas just fine. The water heater is running off the same gas line which works as well. (crack a pipe union slightly) You want me to physically undo the gas line a little to check?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I'd like you to do the things I mentioned so we can make sure we are actually getting gas to the unit (step 1). Then the next step is to measure voltage at the valve when ignitor comes on (step 2).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the furnace is getting gas. How do I go about measuring the voltage. I do have a volt meter.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Set to "volts AC" and put one probe on each of the two terminals at the top of the gas valve (touch metal) right about the time ignitor glows. We're looking for around 24 volts AC.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

If you are not getting any voltage at any time, then the board is bad. If you are getting voltage, but no gas, then your gas control valve is defective.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will go check, ..back to step 1, i just loosened the pipe a little bit just to smell gas. Was that sufficient?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My gas valve seems to be plugged in with a 5 wire harness? (do you know which wires to test) The valve is on the gas line correct? That is also where i can turn the on/off switch.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Can you upload a clear picture of the wiring diagram?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to view that pic? Not sure it uploaded or not?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the diagram. I see this is a modulating valve, which is a bit trickier to troubleshoot than a standard valve. I'm going to open this up to some of the other experts on the site here who may be a bit more familiar with a modulating gas system then I am. Please be patient until another expert picks this up. And please do not reply back as this will send back to me and slow response time.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

hello.

can you tell me what the red and yellow light does during this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the ***** *****ght just blinks twice steadily (normal for call of heat) it seems. no red light.. The green light rapidly blinks ( factory speedup mode) i think it says on the diagnostic sheet.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

then after failure...does light remain the same?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will try to light 3 or so times i think.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no red error codes.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

thank you. If you turn off unit and reboot (back on)..is result same

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

It appears to be board...but I need to know if it trys to cycle or goes to flashing on reboot

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just turning of the power switch next to it, ya several times. It just starts up the same way, two yellow flashes if i run heat. For what its worth, if I turn off the gas totally and run it, it does not even give an error.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

You have a bad circuit board. I would contact the contractor..or a Coleman dealer/York dealer and have returned for warranty. There may be a labor charge, but the part should be covered

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

and fee free to ask any other questions you need....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there's a warranty sticker for 5 years. It's 5 years and 3 months, figures. May it still be warranty'able ?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 year ago.

this unit I have seen as 10yr.

see here