Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I HAVE A PTC 153B35AK ZONELINE UNIT THE UNIT WONT COME ON,

Customer Question

I HAVE A PTC 153B35AK ZONELINE UNIT THE UNIT WONT COME ON, ON THE CONTROL BOARD A LIGHT RED ON AT THE OFF BUTTON AND UNDER THAT IT SA GREEN LIGHT, DO U FILL I NEED TO REPLACE THE BOARD
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, there is about a 30% chance that the control board is bad, and an equal chance that the unit has developed a refrigerant leak, motor problem or sensor failure.

I need to know about how old the unit is.

There is about a 40% chance that you can fix this yourself with our additional coaching services... let me know if you are interested in that, it will take several hours to trouble shooting, and maybe as long as a day to do the repairs if we are lucky.

If that does not seem to be within your skill sets, tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city and I will located a well rated service company for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank sir,but I have checked the limit switches also the heat element all checked out good. The unit is 11 years old, But I don't know how to check the sensors
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** check the limit switches, with a volt meter, ohm meter or by jumpering across it.

On AC systems only the jumper works, or the ohm meter with the power off and the wires disconnected works. That is because with AC controls you can get feed back that puts a ghost read back to the open side of a switch making it appear that the switch is closed.

If you can take a clear, close up, well focused photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the unit I can coach you on how to check the sensors and other components in the system.

Use the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar above for that, or the '+attach files' link to the left of your send button.

We can go from there.