Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a new gh efficiency furnace brand new. The

Customer Question

I have a new Miller high efficiency furnace brand new. The transformer buzzes to where I can hear it in my bedroom 20 feet away. I bought another one and it doesn't buzz as loudly. When the transformer is removed from the furnace but still plugged in the hum goes down to almost nothing which is beautiful. When I remove transformer there are 3 wires coming from other areas of the furnace that are no doubt grounds. I mount them to the furnace with the screws provided for the transformer. Can I run the furnace with the transformer not bolted to the furnace. The peace and quiet would be great.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

You can run the furnace with the transformer not bolted to it but it would be best if the transformer was secured. Before you leave it floating try putting a a rubber gasket between the transformer and the furnace chassis. Moderately soft gasket material is best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced a 30 year old furnace I didn't use because I live on 34 wooded acres and have used my wood stove for 17 years and I love the silence and heat. Now this new furnace will be ready in emergencies, Iam 67 years old with out that constant hum.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate the quiet and live in the woods as well. Is there anything else related to this issue I can help you with?