Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I think the pilot went out or it needs reset. Can you please

Customer Question

Hi. I think the pilot went out or it needs reset. Can you please tell me how to reset the furnace. It us 5 years old. Newer. No problems ever. But, door got slammed yesterday by neighbors kids playing in the house. I think they put out the pilot or something. Thank you.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Daniel Plourde replied 1 year ago.

hi i am dan, i can help you with this, first are you sure there is a pilot of your furnace and can you locate it on the furnace

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I am not sure there is a true pilot. But, there is a flame at the bottom inside the furnace.

is the flame on now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.

do you have something similar to this where the little flame normally is? is the flame normally always on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am unsure. Never noticed the flame before. Because we never had problems. Was told before that this furnace has no pilot light. But, there was a flame last night. When he pushed the switch on the right. Held it down while I put our thermostat on ... the furnace came on. But quit as soon as we lifted off that switch. Can we talk on the phone instead please ? Thank you.

we can talk on the phone if you prefer that but it is an additional service. what switch did you push in? if you can take a picture of the furnace with the burner and post it here that will help me see what you have because there are many different types of pilot light and ignitors and i can determine what you have by seeing it.

instructions for attaching files