Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My lennox lb 50527cc quit working. There is a clicking noise

Customer Question

My lennox lb 50527cc quit working. There is a clicking noise like it wants to kick on but it won't. The fan kicks on if I put it to on I just can't get any heat out of it
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Are there any error codes coming up on the board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a board I should be looking at in the furnace or do you mean the thermostat
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Yes there is a main control board in the furnace that has flashing LEDs compare the flash pattern to the error code list listed on the back of the panel that you will remove to get at it. Let me know what you find

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me the model on the furnace please? It will be located inside burner compartment just above burners on side panel. The number listed is for an exhaust muffler used on such units as the G14 series.If so your furnace will not give error codes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model number is ***** LB-50527CC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

LB-50527CC is a part number for a muffler used on the unit. The furnace model will be on a label on inside panel of furnace.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

See below showing the muffler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
G2103-80-1.......Sorry I'm not the handiest or brightest so you'll have to bare with me
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

No problem , let me grab a manual so I can guide you with this specific unit rather than vague ideas.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a volt meter so we can do some troubleshooting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not....
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok we are going to be limited to what we can check since we can not see electricity. Would you like to obtain a meter or see what we can find without one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else we could do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If we wait till tomorrow to see if we have one at work will I have to pay again? If so we could just do what we are able to now
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

On call for heat does the purge motor come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You do not hear a motor just a clicking noise coming from a little box looking thing inside that is green and has a light on it that's lit up green as well
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Ok your particular unit there is no flash code , the flashing green just indicates that we have an issue that needs to be corrected.Troubleshooting chart gives us step by step checks to go trough but most steps require a meter for checking voltage or continuity.I think we should get that meter and go through these steps tomorrow if that is good for you.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

And no, you do not pay a second time, just come back to question and we go from here.Do not rate answer until we are completely finished.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The green light isn't blinking it's just on constantly
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a jumper wire you can bypass limits just for a test to make sure they are all closed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not but I can look at work or stop somewhere tomorrow if need be. So let's tackle this problem tomorrow.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a plan.Look forward to helping you with this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks in advance!
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Talk with you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alrighty I finally have a volt meter so whenever your ready I am
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

I see the other tech is gone and has been for a couple days do you still want help?

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Just let me know when you are ready to work on this.I have not gone anywhere. just waiting for you to get the meter.We will proceed when ready.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay it will be later tonight
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I am getting off work here real soon then I will message you and I'll be ready to tackle this problem
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I am ready when you are
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Had to run out. I am here when ready

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem where should we start
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK lets start at the beginning. With power on to furnace and thermostat off. Is green light solid ? And on call for heat does anything at all come ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
green light is on when thermostat is off. And it just makes a clicking noise kind of in the area of the green light
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK locate the purge bower and lets check for 120 volts between wires to purge motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does thermostat have to be on when checking this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure where the purge bower and motor are
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Yes e have to have power on and thermostat calling for heat. First thing that should happen is we should get 120v to purge motor .