airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have an 8KW heater installed on a 2.5 ton heat pump on a

Customer Question

I have an 8KW heater installed on a 2.5 ton heat pump on a small packaged unit. Model of the kit is 917167B or H3HK008H-01A. Model of the heat pump is Q7RD/PPH3RD Series 13 SEER R410A. The plug from the heat pump has grey at position 7, yellow at position 6, orange at position 2, and brown at position 1. The grey wire on the heat pump goes to the common side of the 24v transformer, the yellow wire goes to the normally closed blower relay, the orange connects to the brown wire at the defrost control board output side, the brown wire goes to the input side of the defrost board which is jumped to W2 because there is no outdoor thermostat on the package unit.
The plug on the heater kit has a brown wire, low voltage at position 1 going to the solenoid on the contactor for the heating elements. That seems to be ok and matches. The plug has a blue wire at position 5 and that wire goes to the contactor sending high voltage. No position 5 on the plug from the heat pump. Position 6 has high voltage orange wire on the other side of the heater contactor which voltage will join the blue wire when contacts close. Position 7 has a grey wire low voltage which goes to the other side of the solenoid to close contactor supplying 24V from the transformer, that appears to be ok. Position 9 has a white wire high voltage connected to the red at the elements output and there is no position 9 coming from the heat pump plug.
How do I mate these two plugs and what other wiring is necessary to get this heat kit working. I am licensed but very new in this business. Two years of school and I have many more years of learning. Thank you in advance for you help in this matter. I was retired but needed something to do. I have leaned a lot in two years. I chose to open my own business and do the best job I can rather than join a company. In the long run things will work out better. Most jobs I have been successful in diagnosis and repair but this is the first heater kit that is just installed but not hooked up by some other technician or previous homeowner. The house was just purchased in a bid from the courts but I would like to be the one who solves this problem prior to the cold whether.
They have many electrical and plumbing problems in this old house and have been hired to do it all as needed. ***** *****(###) ###-####cell(###) ###-####home e-mail***@******.***. I have pictures of the plugs and wiring diagrams from the internet but am stuck.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Give me a moment to get the manuals on the unit

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be looking forward to you response by e-mail or however this works. I have other appointments right now. I will be back this evening. I will consider monthly programs in the future. Lets see how this works out first. I will be checking my credit card for the monies that you have already asked for up front. I will need time to trust this site.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK I have the furnace manual I front of me. Pulling the heat kit manual. Do you want to work on this now or come back tis evening? Any pics you can send will speed up the process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This evening.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

No problem. I now have wiring diagrams on packaged unit and heat kit on my desk. I will set them to the side so we can work on this when you are ready.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have supplied enough information to get an answer. I will include photos.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK below are links to the diagrams and explanation of what each wire does. Let me know how I may assist further and if you have any trouble figuring this out,I am here for you. The heat kit should have a 9 pin plug that plugs directly into the factor plug.

Here is abreakdown of th wires on the 9 pin plug by each pin:

1 is brown low voltage .It wil be going to W2 .AUX on thermostat and coil on sequencer

2 is orange low voltgae and also goes to the coil on the sequencer but basically not used with one stage heat (It would be used with 15KW or higher or 2 stage heat thermostat)

3 is white high voltage from contator and goes to nothing on heat kit

4 is red also high voltage but not going to anything on heat kit

5 is blue high voltage to fan relay and heat kit

6 is Yellow high voltage to fan relay and orange to heat kit

7 is grey low voltgae common from transformer and to sequncer coil

8 is unused

9 is white high voltage power fan and power to heat kit

Please wait to rate answer until we are done.