Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a heat - N - Glow fireplace insert that was installed

Customer Question

I have a heat - N - Glow fireplace insert that was installed by the previus owners in 1992. I have used it for the last 15 years. Being out of the country for most of the winter last year I did not light it between December and April. When I tried top light the burner it would often light on the second or third flip of the switch. This fall it will not light at all. The pilot is light. What can I do to fix this?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

This sounds elementary but are you sure we have gas to the heater? Gas cock and gas valve both in ON position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume that when the pilot is light there is gas to the heater
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that correct?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is correct. Since pilot is lit that does indeed verify the gas is on to the unit. Next how about the knob on the gas valve.Verify for me it is not till in PILOt position but is turned to ON

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The valve is aligned as follows. vertically off is at 12:00, on is at 6:00 and pilot is at about 1:00
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are we still working on this or have you moved on to something else?
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am trying to see the valve positions as related to a clock. There should be a mark on the valve that the positions, Off, Pilot and ON line up with to show what position it is in.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

See below

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

If valve is in ON position we can move to actual troubleshooting. The most common cause the burners not to light is the pilot generator not producing enough mili volts to open valve.We will need a multi meter that reads DC millivolts to check this.

Below is a link to a video showing you step by step how to check the thermopile. We will go from here.

http://www.mygasfireplacerepair.com/2012/11/15/how-to-test-your-thermopile/