Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

How often should my 1933 Kewanee type "C" boiler be

Customer Question

how often should my 1933 Kewanee type "C" boiler be thoroughly gone through. Not just blow down and valve relief but gaskets and fire box etc. ?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, such an old boiler needs a close inspection by one of the local *industrial boiler service companies (not a residential HVAC shop.) Very often the less you do with an old boiler the better off you will be. some types need pressure vessel certification and regular inspections.

If the gaskets do not leak, they should be left alone, if fire brick is in tact it should be left alone, possibly re-pointed if the mortar has fallen out in spots. That needs to be seen however.

All of the fire controls need to be inspected and tested once every month or so, generally at least twice a year on contract with an industrial boiler service company, depending on the size of the boiler and its application.

If you can send me a few well lit pictures of the inside of the fire box, and the boiler room itself and the boiler taken from about 15 feet away that will help... I need to the application, is hot water, slow pressure steam or a high pressure steam boiler.

Does it burn natural gas or oil?

Tell

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Johnson low NOx gas burner system and a low pressure steam boiler type "C". I am unable to send pictures of the unit from distance as we are a private club and cell phones and photos are prohibited.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

If you can tell me direction you are from the nearest city I can look for a well rated boiler outfit for you, these units should be seen regularly for safety and maintenance reasons, water treatment is also required with monthly chemical analysis (done by you, using the chemical kit supplied by the water treatment company you select)

If you cannot tell me that rough location information, seek out a professional boiler service company that advertises that and no other work....if they have been in business longer than 10 or 20 years they will likely be a good bet.

Thanks for letting me work with you. When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings . If you still need help let me know!. Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer. Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

.