Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a gas boiler, about 12 years old. Over the past two

Customer Question

I have a gas boiler, about 12 years old. Over the past two months I have replaced the thermocouple twice and the pilot would stay lit, but tonight it has happened again and the pilot will light but go out after holding the red button down for more than two or trhree minutes.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

Is the pilot flame strong and hitting the thermocouple?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

If the pilot flame is strong and hitting the thermocouple and the thermocouple is fairly new, then you probably have a bad gas valve. As these get older, the coils inside get weak and even a good thermocouple cannot provide enough millivolts to operate valve.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

You could try replacing the thermocouple once more, but if it still won't hold in the pilot, then replace the gas valve.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.