Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Rheem Criterion II furnace that stopped

Customer Question

Hello. I have a Rheem Criterion II furnace that stopped blowing/generating heat. If the thermostat is set to 'cool' the fan kicks on, but not when set to 'heat'. After turning the furnace off at the switch, then turning it back on it makes a humming sound for about 30 secs then stops. Might you please have any advice?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage? If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks, if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I will be happy to guide you.Without a meter , there are a limited number of things we can check if you are able to do a visual inspection and can do some hands on troubleshooting.Please let me know and we can go from here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** do not have one available at this time.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK let me get a manual and lets see what we can do without a meter. I have to step away just a few minutes but will be back shortly and we will see what we can do.

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you can get a meter or if you want to check a couple of things without a meter