Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My Trane XL 1100 Air filter is a thin plastic mesh inside an

Customer Question

My Trane XL 1100 Air filter is a thin plastic mesh inside an openable metal frame, which is attached to a wire that plugs into the main unit. . It's apparent that I "change the filter" by replacing that mesh layer. I've found nothing like this in any store. I think this might be why our thermostat doesn't blow heat.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Trane furnaces take one of the very standard sized disposable fiberglass, cardboard frame filters... if you can read me the size of the trane X L 1100 filter... for instance 16" x 20" x 1 inch, or whatever other size...I will see what I can do for you.

I do not need any of the other numbers, You can also use a tape measure to measure the filter.

We can go from there.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Please attach a picture taken from 5 feet away that shows where the filter fits, not a close up photo, but one that shows its surroundings as well.

you can use the paper clip icon at the right end of the toolbar at the top of this dialog box, Include a picture of the thermostat wire connections to the printed circuit board in the same area.

If there is no paper clip icon, look for the '+attach files' link at left of your send button

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

ooops... I do not need a picture of the circuit board, just the air filter area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't quit this conversation. I have pictures, but I am having a little difficulty adding one to this message. I will try to send it to you soon.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Ok, there is generally no time limit on when you can respond, even if you get a 'timed out' message you can often still post the thread and I will pick it up.

If you are having trouble posting a picture here, you use www.flickr.com then post the URL at the top of that flickr page with your pictures on it here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it took so long. Here' s the photo. Let me know if you need a different view - further away or closer. Thanks!
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, thanks for the photo.

I need to you to pull the filter out, lay it on the floor and measure it both ways and also the thickness.. leave the tape measure in the photo... then take another photo inside without the filter in so I can see if there is anything else in side.

That will work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you see the label thats on the outside of the unit, it says "indoor filter should be 20x25x1.". But I've also included pictures of the metal frame that opens up. It will not fit a standard, fiberglass, carboard framed filter of any kind. the replaceable piece is a thin mesh/spongey layer that lies in between two screens that in turn lie inside the metal frame. The thin blue-ish meshy/spongey stuff is something I bought at Lowe's a few months ago, but I can tell that even that is too thick. It doesn't fit in there well, and we get a "filter" reading and the heat won't click on, or won't stay on heat when we click it to manual.
I know this isn't normal.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, it looks like someone had fit a cleanable electro static filter combination... those cost about $150 each and are in the 70%+ range for effectiveness when new.

The odds are good that you can remove it entirely, as you show in the photo's and buy two 20 x 25 x 1 inch fiberglass filters with the cardboard frames, and they should fit. Those are in the 15% effectiveness range.

Here are some equivalent options

http://www.dynamicfilterstore.com/custom-size-1-inch-thick-dynamic-electronic-air-cleaner.html

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/ResidentialProducts/IndoorAirQuality/nbspnbspnbspG1EAC.aspx

http://screencast.com/t/YhCxr2PAo2r

This goodman option is likely the best price you can get.

Thanks for letting me work with you. When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings . If you still need help let me know!. Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer. Feel free to follow up for30 days at no additional cost.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

http://screencast.com/t/ZebaQAK7

These are a lot cheaper, and are about 30% efficient, you can read up on the specifications

here https://www.grainger.com/category/pleated-air-filters/air-filters/hvac-and-refrigeration/ecatalog/N-lwj

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It is cold for a few nights now, and I thought the short term solution would be to use the fiberglass filter for now.
I disconnected the electrostatic filter wire, took it out, placed a fiberglass filet in, and tried it. It still flashes "filter" on the thermostat control - the air that comes in is only lukewarm, and it cuts off after a few minutes. I traced the other side of the wire that connected to the ev filter and the wire is split into two parts.I disconnected the power to the unit before taking these pictures that I sent.
I am colorblind - not completely unable to see any color, but I'm not sure about the colors of several of these wires. the "brown or green wire" is one of the wires fastened to a piece of the "filter wire". the "blue wire" is the other one that is connected to the filter wire. the green one has another wire joined to it with the twist on joiner. the blue only has the filter wire tied to it. I think that if I disconnect these, the filter error should go away. Do you agree? but if I disconnect the "blue wire" from the filter wire, can I put that twist on joiner back on with just the blue wire by itself?Does this change your mind about the feasibility of the fiberglass filter? Thank you, ***** ***** way. You're helping me a great deal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added that picture of the "three that don't " because I thought it MIGHT be useful information to know which color wires weren't connected to the filter wire.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Please attach a well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the service panel,you can use the paper clip-icon at the right end of the toolbar at the top of this dialog box,Include a picture of the thermostat wire connections to the printed circuit board in the same area.

If there is no paper clip-icon, look for the '+attach files' link at left of your send button.

I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. You will need a multi meter ($30 at a hardware store) and some experience working with appliances, let me know a lot about your skill sets in those regards.

We can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** the picture. Please let me know if it's not close up enough, but it should be focused well enough that if you zoom in, you can see what it says.
I'm not zero-skill with appliances- I've done a couple of simple repairs on my dryer, and I've helped a friend tie wires to thermostat controls for about ten locations within a school building. I installed our thermostat about three years ago, and it worked for the summer, and then in the winter I found out that I didn't configure it right for the heater,and researched and called found out how to to that (before I had heard of JustAnswer), and I know how to disengage the TRANE unit before I touch any of that.I've never learned yet how to use a multi-meter, but I'll find out.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, there are no sensors in that furnace that can detect a clogged air filter, if the furnace runs, I would ignore the change filter notice, it may have been programmed into the thermostat if you have a new one, notice of filter change every 30 days or whatever.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The furnace comes on, and I've been outside with the unit when it does. The air coming out the upward vent on the unit is quite hot. But the air is only lukewarm to even almost cool coming into the house, and it clicks off within 2-4 minutes without changing the temperature. Could there be another control not related to the filter that makes it cut off?
If this is creeping outside of the scope of the original quote, let me know. Your help is very much appreciated.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, there are two upward vents... the small one, about 5 inches in diameter is the flue pipe, it runs hot, The main warm air flow duct runs about 50 degrees F warmer than the room air.

There is a 'high temperature safety limit' switch with a probe that pokes into the fire box area, that shuts the furnace down if it over heats... it will over heat if there is not enough air flow past the heat exchanger, that can happen if too many vents are shut down or covered with throw rugs etc.

It can also happen if that safety switch has gone bad. the way to test it is to fit a temporary jumper across its two terminals.

Please attach a well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the blower service panel,you can use the paper clip-icon at the right end of the toolbar at the top of this dialog box,Include a picture of the thermostat wire connections to the printed circuit board in the same area.

We can go from there. When we are done you can leave a bonus if you iike.