Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

We have a carrier 48 SX gas heating/electric cooling package

Customer Question

We have a carrier 48 SX gas heating/electric cooling package unit. On heating, unit operates fine all day. In the morning, after night time setback, the control board is flashing 6 times and the building is cool. If we shut the power down and then back on, unit fires right up and runs fine all day. Burner draft motor was replaced last season.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

The 6 flash code is an inducer motor fault. If the inducer was replaced and motor is running, it could be the hall effect sensor on the back of the motor that is bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that 6 is the inducer motor code. Here is the exact issue. If I shut the main breaker off and then advance the thermostat so it calls for heat, the unit fires up normally as soon as I turn the main breaker back on. On the other hand, If I lower the thermostat and turn the main breaker off. Wait a minute then turn the breaker back on (with the thermostat not calling). The red light on the control panel comes on and stays steady as it should. When the thermostat then calls for heat, nothing happens at the unit for about 20 seconds at which point the 6 flash code appears. What is the solution to this issue?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

I would first make sure the hall effect sensor was replaced (in back of the motor). If it was, then the board could very likely be bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It can't be the Hall sensor since the combustion motor doesn't even try to spin up when the circuit breaker is turned on first then there is a call for heat. We know both the motor and the hall sensor work as the unit fires right up when the thermostat is raised before the breaker is turned on. Control board was replaced 14 months ago. Any way to test it?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

A simple way to test: when you have 24 volts as measured across C or com to W (in other words a call for heat), the inducer should start immediately. If it does, but then you get a 6 flash code (inducer fault), make sure the hall sensor is good and has been replaced. If the inducer does not start right away, it may be a bad board.

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have additional questions on this. Otherwise, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Otherwise experts work at their own time and expense. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.