Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I'm just some research on a Payne furnace that I have its 13

Customer Question

I'm just dong some research on a Payne furnace that I have its 13 yrs old and is flashing code 12. It will occasionally fire but it seems as if its not getting enough gas. I have a technician that has replaced the propane switch in the furnace and he is still gettting the same problem. Am thinking that it might be the outside pressure regulators as when we open the cover to view the venturis we aren't getting a very strong gas smell but did confirm that it definitely is getting gas. Flame sensor was cleaned as well. Vaccum switch works fine as well.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

WE are going to need a gas pressure tester or manometer to verify pressure into and out of the valve,. Fo you have any letters in front of those numbers in model?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll head dowstairs and get the rest of the model number the HVAC guy is going to grab his pressure tester and will be back later today.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.Look forward to helping with this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Full model # ***** ***** I just was down there and cycled it through again and after 2 nonfires I open up the peep hole cover door to let more airflow in and got a brief flame that went out after 1/2 second.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the model. I see it does have a board with an error code. The error is determined by short and long flashes .For example if pressure switch is opening we would get three short then one long flash. Do you et a code on board when it goes out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually stated that in my question, its error code 12
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

OK the 12 just says call dealer for service.Lets get that gas pressure tester and see what kind of pressure we have in and out of valve.There should be ports on valve for testing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well the service tech is going to come out later with his pressure tester, his van was in the shop so he had limited tools with him. I thought I might have explained this in the question but there was two parts to it so I'm not quite sure which you are able to read.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
code 12 is "Blower on after powerup. Normal operation blower runs for 90secs if unit is powered up during a call for heat (rw closed or when rw opens during the blower on delay period
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

That is strange that we would have different charts. But if yours is the normal code, I am suspecting issue to be with pressure or the valve. By the way here is my chart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm nope thats definitely different than the codes I am looking at I will head downstairs and recheck the model no again. Its a forced air furnace installed in 2003
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just double checked and its PG9MAA Series E. I got it to fire quite a few times and then it goes off after 1-20secs. It seemed like if I had the peep cover at just the right crack it would stay going for longer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the intake pipe, it has a mesh to prevent stuff from getting inside it but I do live in the country along a gravel road
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

I am sure yours is correct. just strange they would have a different chart on website. The 12 is a good code on Carrier furnaces, which is the company that makes Brant and Payne so I am confident it is right.We will continue after checking gas pressure .We should have at least 10.5"WC to valve and no more than 14"WC

Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Usually if it is an issue with pressure switch we would get a different code. See chart on your unit .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tech already replaced the redundant automatic gas valve, I don't really think it needed replacing since its still doing the exact same thing. He's not a carrier dealer though. I will have to see about returning the part. I will chat with you again if he doesn't get it fixed after checking the gas pressure.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Thanks let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will definitely. Seems like inlet pressure has more to do with it than the actual gas because I can get it to fire with the peep cover off, with it on it doesn't or rarely fires.
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 year ago.

Look forward to hearing back