Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Replaced the thermopile on my gas fireplace. the tech that

Customer Question

replaced the thermopile on my gas fireplace. the tech that was here the other day said I needed a thermopile and gas valve and wanted an additional $850 after I paid him $130. Needless to say, I went and bought a thermopile for $40 and now the pilot stays lit but burner does not ignite when I turn on the wall switch. My question is this. There is a black wire that is not connected to anything. I am not sure that he either forgot to re-wire it or that is a wire for a blower (which we don't have). Should this wire be attached to a lead on the gas valve? I don't see how the valve get energized.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Can you give me a picture of the gas valve showing this wire and the terminals. Typical wiring would be: thermopile connected to TP & TH/TP and switch/thermostat connected to TH & TH/TP