Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have an AquaTherm unit and recently had my water heater

Customer Question

Hey Tom,
I have an AquaTherm unit and recently had my water heater replaced. The heat works fine on the system but our hot water is barely warm at best. When i turn off the water running into the Aquatherm system, that's the only time our hot water run hot. The person installing it said it's possibly the coil within the HVAC system and told me to get it checked out. I think it's something else.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What temp is the water heater set to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's almost at the hottest level possible. i've had to dial it back one notch. I have a RUUD Professional plus 50gal unit with dial that has "A, B, C" as the hottest settings and it's currently on B. I've tried setting it to the hottest and the symptoms are still there.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like piping issue although a 50 gallon tank is pretty small for this type of system. Can you give me a picture of the heater and the piping around it?

You can post a picture here by clicking on “ADD FILES” link next to the SEND button. If that doesn’t work for you then you can upload a pic to a file sharing service like Google pics or Dropbox. Then post the “share” link to your picture here or you can email the pic to customer service but the last option can take quite a while to get to me. Click on the CONTACT US link to contact customer service. http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will upload pictures when I go home later tonight.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'm online until 7:30- 8 pm EDT. I'll respond as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here they are. let me know if you need more.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, what I really need a better look at is the piping on top of the tank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the photos. The last one is the piping on the old unit without the insulation. Hopefully it makes it easier for you to see
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sorry but they really weren't much help. I can't tell what's under the insulation and I need one shot with all the piping around the top of the heater. Can you take the insulation off? If not the best I can do is speculate that at a minimum you have a missing check valve to keep the cold water from crossing over to the hot. I could also use a wider angle shot that shows the heat exchanger/air handler and the tank in the same frame.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I speculated as well. There's only one was for the cold water to mix with the hot. I have asked my contractor about a check valve and I want aware that should have been a standard. The install is done correctly according to the diagrams. Hopefully a check valve will fix the issue
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It should. The tempering/mixing valve is just to cool the water off out of the tank so you don't get scalded when you turn on a hot water faucet

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

In case my answer wasn't clear this type of system seldom works right without a check valve. I know some piping diagrams don't show one but they are a poor design