Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Light flashing 6 + 1. initial light comes on but does not

Customer Question

hi! green light flashing 6 + 1. initial light comes on but does not light the 3 pilots.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond as typing, researching and adding links takes me time to do so please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

I am not seeing that code, do you see the code list on the panel you removed to check out the flashing pattern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not at the property - I was there last night but did not see a code list
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

one sec let me check

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it flashes 6 times and pauses before flashing once more
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Ok found it that is an ignition lockout code for exceeded tries to light. You have to check the ignitor to see if it is broken or if it does light briefly then go out clean the flame sensor rod off with some sand paper and give it a try, it will likely be one of the two issues.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the ignitor still does not stay on after cleaning the rods.. what next
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

Well first make sure the inducer motor starts then see if the ignitor has power to it and glows, then see if it lights and then goes out, if that happens clean the flame sensor rod. Just rate my service today and you will get a link to get right back to me whenever you get to it so we can go from there!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it glows for a bit then goes out.. would it still glow if the inducer motor did not work?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

I fit glows then goes out make sure the orifices are clear....it would not glow if the inducer did not work. If it is not lighting when glowing then the gas valve is not being energized, the valve could be bad or there may be a safety device in line with the valve stopping it from energizing, typically if that were the case you would get a different code though. The gas valve should have 24 volts to it when the ignitor is glowing for just a bit.

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

I see this question is still open if there was nothing more I can do for you please rate my service using the star rating system so I can put this on my done list thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i cleaned the rod and it still pulls the same 6+1 flashing
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK does it light up at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just the ignitor glow then it goes off after a few seconds x 4 then the flash light code 6+1
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 year ago.

OK do you have a volt meter and can you check if you are getting 24 volts to the gas valve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
theres multiple wires to gas valve.. can u tell me exactly where im supposed to test 24 v
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
seems to be 14v
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I do not see that model number in my files.

Please attach a well focused, close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside the service panel,you can use the paper clip icon at the right end of the toolbar at the top of this dialog box,Include a picture of the thermostat wire connections to the printed circuit board in the same area.

If there is no paper clip icon, look for the '+attach files' link at left of your send button.

I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions. You will need a multi meter ($30 at a hardware store) and some experience working with appliances, let me know a lot about your skill sets in those regards.

We can go from there without a time limit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have a volt meter... I have a friend hvac certified but not much experience... he figured it was probably the gas valve which clicks but no gas feed. I had a hvac company come out and tell me he would try the gas valve and he quoted $550 plus tax for the part only but it needed to be ordered... so I just ordered one on ebay for $243 and my friend will install it. I will get back to you if there is still an issue after it has been replaced.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, that is a good plan,

If you appreciate my input so far, and wish to continue with virtually no time limit, rate my work positively... we can go from there. The company only pays me if you rate positively, lacking that I can spend days with a customer at my own expense, without any compensation. Rating does not increase your charges or close the question, but it allows you unlimited follow up.