Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My circulator pump isn't getting power to it.

Customer Question

my circulator pump isn't getting power to it.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What is the model of your boiler? How many circs do you have? is the burner firing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it is a CGM 4. I have 1 circulating pump and 2 zones. The burner fires right up and the temperature on the boiler goes up too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used a voltmeter to test voltage on the two wires coming into the circulator and got nothing.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Then you either have a bad connection between the relay and the circ or you have a bad relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i test the relay?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The boiler is responding to the thermostat so if you have no power to the pump then the relay is bad. There is no other test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the the relay and still no power to the circulator. Is there something that clicks on the relay to give it power? Besides the wire from the on/off switch of the boiler.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is continuity in the wire from the relay to the circulator
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Did you check the connections at the relay socket? Since the relay is also pulling in the gas valve (it's responding to the thermostat) and since you have a new relay you could have a bad relay socket or the connection to it. Did you check the pump connection to neutral?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The socket to the end of the wire in the circulator have continuity. How do i check the pump connection to neutral
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Neutral is the white wire to the pump. Trace it back to where it connects to the line in nuetral

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It's also possible you have a bad connection between the line hot feed to the relay socket.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The white wire is good. I have continuity on it from the on/off switch to the circulator
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Are you checking the connections not just continuity? The only thing left is what I mentioned in my last post.

You could have a bad connection between the line hot feed to the relay socket.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The line hot feed to the socket has continuity too. Wouldn't that mean the connection is good? I pulled out the relay and tested from inside the socket to the end of the wire
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I got nothing else. Based on what you're telling me it should work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the relay still work if the hot line wasn't getting to it?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand your question. You won't get 120 v to the pump if you don't have 120 v to the relay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked from inside the socket. the line hot feed in the socket is good
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Like I said before it should work based on what you're telling me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything that trips the relay to turn on besides the hot wire?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The thermostat trips the relay. Since the thermostat is low voltage a relay is required to make the 120 volt connection. Your thermostat is turning the burner so that connection is good